Thursday, March 22, 2012

So Much To Remember

... But all to easy to forget


In reading chapters 3 and 4 I was astounded at how many new characters appeared seemingly out of nowhere! Although all their stories were interesting and I paid very close attention to detail, or tried to at least, I kept asking myself, "who is that again?”. If I was an author I would like to think I would give character’s name that didn't sound so similar, Dieynaba, Dejean, Demba, Doudou, and Deune all introduced in the first couple chapters.. Really?? In places like Dakar and Dialav.. Sensing a pattern? But apart from the character’s names I do enjoy the story, it's very interesting to see how people step up in the time of need. A quote that really stood out to me was in chapter 3:

"And men began to understand that if the times were bringing forth a new breed of men, they were also bringing forth a new breed of women” (34).

I think what really stood out for me as a changing point was one of the last lines of the chapter which had Ramatoulaye saying, “Today, I will bring back something to eat” (34). The women are starting to take on new roles in society along with men whose roles are also changing as well with their decision to participate in the strike. Some of the traditions are beginning to decline as survival becomes more important and with this survival comes change. Ramatoulaye shows these characteristics during her struggles of gathering food and water, and in her conflicts with her brother MabiguĂ©.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you that keeping track of all the names is difficult, but I felt like it was the same thing for Crime and Punishment. I also liked the quote that you chose. For the new breed of women I just think that it refers to how they changed from being passive to active. Now they are the ones who take charge and look for ways to provide for their families.

    ReplyDelete