When I saw this line I didn't think anything of it, but now i'm putting it all together. God's bits of wood turn in to the trees of tomorrow, it all makes sense. It's all a metaphor for the Sudanese children growing up and changing the world. The quote comes from when Maimouna, the blind woman, was nursing baby strike and said to herself "I am nourishing one of the great trees of tomorrow" (221). On the topic of baby Strike, I thought that she would be a key character in the book after her naming has such importance and relevance, but she somewhat simply disappeared completely from the novel. Though I suppose thats the same as what happened with Abid'id'ji as well, she seemed so important at the begginging but then faded out until the end. In these couple of chapters, very close to the end of the novel the African's power is evident as its clear they are completely in control of the strike, it also becomes very obvious that they are going to win, at least to me. Bakayoko is growing on me as a character, although I wish he had more emotions, as many characters have pointed out to him in the novel, he is very difficult to relate to with the attitude that he has.

No comments:
Post a Comment